- While the sun shines today, take a walk around your neighborhood to collect 10-15 found objects: small rocks, twigs, leaves (old and new), flower blossoms, etc.
- Once home, create a piece of art using the found objects.
- You could create a collage, a 3-D monster, a rainbow, or anything!
- A bag
- Some patience
- A limitless imagination
- (and some paper, cardboard, glue or tape, maybe some scissors, etc.)
Questions and Prompts
- I spy with my little eye . . .
- What do you want to make? Maybe we could look for objects to help you make it.
- Look what we found! What could you make with these objects?
- Why do you like that object? Why did you pick it? What makes it special?
- Our challenge is to find only 10-15 very special objects. Which do you like more? Which one do you want to keep? (By limiting the choices, you make the end product more special.)
- 30-60 minutes to walk and gather
- 20-30 minutes to create
Skills Learned and Practiced
- Social-Emotional - patience, the art of conversation, making choices
- Language - building vocabulary (use new and interesting adjectives to describe what your child has found)
- Cognitive - making a plan, executing a plan
- Physical - large motor (walking is great exercise!)