- Another rainy day?
- Build a fort inside!
- Sacrifice a corner of your family room for hours of guaranteed fun. Children love to play in forts!
- Couch cushions
- Stuffed animals
- Books and small toys
Questions and Prompts
- The wall keeps falling down. I wonder why. How can we keep the walls standing up?
- Do you want a door? Or a window? How can we build one?
- Do you think I can stand up in your fort? Why or why not? Could we build it tall enough for me? Why or why not?
- 20-30 minutes to build
- Hours to play
Skills Learned and Practiced
- Social-Emotional - teamwork, independence (taking ownership of the space)
- Language - pre-reading and writing (if you make signs for the fort!)
- Cognitive - planning, organizing, problem solving, engineering, imagining
- Physical - heavy work
My son always wanted to sleep in the forts that he and I built. He would take hours long naps and would sleep well beyond his normal morning wake-up time, even when I was working nearby in the kitchen. There's something about the small spaces - I think children love that it's their special space.